Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Reflection #2

The first introduction to Drama I ever had scared me, it was in Junior High School and the Drama / Life Teacher loved Drama/Theatre and he did some kind of charades sort of game but he told us what he was before he started.  He announced that he would interpret for us Bacon.  He then got up on the desk and proceeded to make frying noises and move as if he was being fried in a pan.  It looked more like a grand mal seizure, and it scarred me, from then on I thought drama and consequently theatre was just too weird for me to understand.  Well since then I married a girl that grew up doing musical theatre and took some humanities classes that have all opened my eyes to new perspectives.

In play a child is always above his average age, above his daily behavior, in play it is as though he were a head taller than himself. - Lev (Vyvotsky)  This quote showed me that I have been doing drama my whole life even when I thought it was dumb.  I love pretending and having make believe worlds.  It is how dreams come to fruition.  Learning more about drama has helped me understand the potential it has to help us grow and reach farther we would other wise.  Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the food we oft might win, by fearing the attempt. -( William Shakespeare)  I have lost much to doubt and I know many others that have as well.  Drama seems to be a key to finding that confidence to imagine things other than how doubt shows.  Beyond giving confidence in ourselves and our skills drama is also a terrific source of hands on activities.  Which for many children is the best way to learn, and apply knowledge.

1 comment:

  1. Love both the Vygotsky and Shakespeare quoter - Sorry about your jr. high experience, but I'm so glad you have a different perspective now.

    ReplyDelete